Hangry Jesus - Matt 21 ; Mark 11

/
0 Comments

I think the first couple times when I read about Jesus getting angry at the fruitless fig tree, I totally didn't get it. 


The next couple times, I thought I was quite funny that Jesus would get angry at the tree because he was hungry. I thought it quite showed his human side --- that he could be hangry too, just like the rest of us.

Then I read it more, and realized some interesting things about this short story: 

1. Firstly, it is striking that Jesus expected there to be fruit on the tree, since it was too early in the season for fruit to bear (Mark 11:13)
  • Obviously, this begs the question: if it was too early in the season for fruit, what's the sense of getting angry at the tree in the first place?

2. Secondly, some commentaries and footnotes suggest that Jesus was instead cursing the Israelites and their fruitlessness
  • I guess this can be linked to what happened the day before (earlier in the chapter), when Jesus arrived in Jerusalem and was so outraged at the dirty money exchanges that were happening in God's temple
  • Because the Israelites had distorted what God had intended for his Temple, it makes sense that Jesus would be mad at this

3. Thirdly, in both places where this incident is documented, Matthew and Mark both wrote that Jesus said things about faith relating to the fig tree. That if we don't doubt when we pray to God, he is able to move mountains for us (broadly paraphrased). So the concept of faith and prayer are definitely linked to the story.


I think these are all pieces to the puzzle that are still hazy for me, as I still don't really understand the real meaning behind this story. Nonetheless, thank God that his word is alive and active. He reveals something more each time :)

For now, I have two general takeaways from all this:

1. Fruitlessness is largely related to a lack of faith

2. Fruitlessness in your life makes God angry






You may also like

No comments:

.